- Give 2cc CD&T at 1 week, 1 month, and 2 months of age.
- Booster every year.
- Vaccinate new animals, if you are not sure they have been vaccinated.
- Vaccinate under the skin, usually in the armpit area.
- Vaccine can sometimes leave a knot.
What You Should Know About Tetanus:
- Tetanus grows in dead tissue; oxygen kills it.
- “Banded” scrotums, dehorning areas, and wounds are all great places for tetanus to grow.
- Farms with horses are at higher risk, because tetanus bacteria are found in horse manure.
Clostridium Perfringens C&D (Vaccine for Overeating Disease):
- Protects against the overgrowth of Clostridia bacteria when animals eat too much grain. Overgrowth of Clostridia bacteria causes bloody diarrhea and death in 12-24 hours.
- This vaccine does not protect animals from the effects of excessive overeating (such as breaking into the feed bin and eating 25 pounds of feed) which causes overwhelming rumen overload.