Sheep and goats were designed to eat hay, grass, and maybe small amounts of grain. They should be limited to 1 cup of grain per animal per day.
Problems with feeding to much grain:
- Grain overload and rumen acidosis (usually fatal)
- Polioencephalomalacia (fatal without treatment)
- Urethral obstruction in males (fatal without $500 surgery)
- Clostridial overgrowth/overeating disease (usually fatal because disease progresses too rapidly for treatment)
- Intestinal torsion (redgut) (fatal in 2-3 hours)